Ever wondered that among all the great politicians in Indian history, who has played the most ‘shrewd yet ingenious’ role in Indian Politics?
Chanakya was most bad-ass politician ever borne in India. He was a common man who defeated an empire, started another one without touching a sword. Till date there is no parallel of this in world history. Chanakya Niti has survived for more than 2300 years to tell the tale of greatest common man of India. I will list out achievements of this remarkable personality .
Power of his enemy – Nanda empire
- Nanda empire under was impressive military power that prevented Alexander the great from invading Indian plains. According to the Greek historian Plutarch, the size of the Nanda army was even larger, numbering 200,000 infantry, 80,000 cavalry, 8,000 war chariots, and 6,000 war elephants.
- Forces of mutinied at the river beas and refused to go any further upon encountering “the 4000 well trained and well equipped war elephants of the (Nanda)” according to Greek historian .
Chanakya – the king-maker
- Chanakya was insulted at the court by Nanda king, Then Chanakya untied the (lock of hair) and swore that he would not tie it back till he destroyed the Nanda kingdom.
- He selected Chandragupta, who was the son of a royal concubine named Mura and spent his childhood in the Nanda palace. Chanakya and Chandragupta signed a pact with Parvataka (identified with by some scholars) of north-west India that ensured his victory over the Nanda empire.
- This deal was full of various tactfully crafted political and military steps that has been explained in an ancient text of from the late 4th century to the early 8th century.
His creation Chandragupta Maurya
- is called as Sandrokottos and Androcottus In and accounts .
- Chandragupta Maurya (c. 321 – c. 297 BCE) was the founder of the and the first king to unify most of into one state.
India before Chanakya … small kingdom of Nanda empire
India after Chanakya …. Maurya Empire at its peak …… none other than British were able to achieve in 2300 years.
Literary Works of Chanakya
- Two books and Chanakya Niti, also known as Chanakya Neeti-shastra are attributed to Chanakya.
- His works are highly appreciated and are in league of legendary thinkers like and He remains sole Indian to write a book on statecraft and strategy in 2300 years that is yet read and practiced.
Legacy of Chanakya in modern India
- The diplomatic enclave in New Delhi is named in honour of Chanakya. That says enough about impact this man has on indian diplomacy after 2300 years !!!
- Inda’s former National Security Adviser (NSA) praised Chanakya’s for its clear and precise rules which apply even today. Furthermore, he recommended reading of the book for broadening the vision on strategic issues.
Finally , we Indians are often impressed by foreign figures like Winston Churchill, Bill Gates but we tend to forget our history and the great sons that India has produced who changed the course of history and their legacy survived to this day. And till dateChanakya remains most bad-ass politician ever borne in India.
Tell us who do you think is/was the badass politician in Indian politics!
(This post’s content is taken from a Quora’s answer asked by Balaji Vishwanathan)